Alternative Short Term Emergency Housing for Jewish women and their children who have experienced abuse.
Our award-winning, community-based kosher shelter for Jewish women who have experienced abuse is co-sponsored by Act To End Violence Against Women and by local social service agencies in Toronto and Montreal.
- A community-based kosher shelter for Jewish women
- Safety, autonomy, anonymity and support to Jewish women who have experienced abuse and their children
- A core of screened and trained volunteers to support women who have experienced abuse and their families while they live in the shelter
- Household amenities that support Jewish traditions and practice
- Clinical therapy and support
- An alternative to a public shelter for women who are abused
- An additional shelter option for women who have spent the maximum amount of time in another shelter
- A safe, secure, supportive environment in which to plan for the future
“I left an abusive marriage and moved into ASTEH with my child. For the first time in many years I slept without fear. Act To End Violence Against Women volunteers supported me on a daily basis and gave me the confidence to begin to plan for the rest of my life.” ASTEH Resident
“I want to say how important your role was with Sarah*, and just how much she appreciated your caring and involvement during a very difficult transition. You made this transition much easier for Sarah and she is now looking forward to moving and starting a new chapter. Thanks to all of you!” Social worker, JF & CS Toronto, in a note to Act To End Violence Against Women volunteers
*Sarah is an assumed name
One in four women – including Jewish women – will experience abuse at least once in her lifetime. Someone you know has experienced abuse.
For immediate assistance, contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at: 1-800-799-7223
For more information on ASTEH, contact Act To End Violence Against Women at 905-695-5372, toll-free at 1-866-333-5942 or by email at email@example.com